Tuesday, April 15, 2014

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 15 - Kathie Rasmussen

Kathie Irene Rasmussen is the aunt I never knew.  She died when she was only 11 years old.    She was both my fathers little sister, and my mothers friend.

 



My parents grew up living close to each other and attended the same schools.    My mother said that it was at Kathie's funeral that Michael (my father) was Kathie's sister.

Kathie Irene Rasmussen was born on October 2, 1944 - 3 months shy of my fathers 2nd birthday.     A mere 4 months after Kathie was born - my grandfather was called to serve in World War II.  Basic Training in Rhode Island and then on to Japan.

  

 

My grandmother sent letters from the kids, pictures and cards during my grandfathers time in the war.



  

In October 1955, shortly after her 11th birthday, Kathie's school called and asked her mother to pick her up - Kathie was not feeling well.         Her mother brought her home, and called the Dr. - the flu was going around.   Kathie told her mother that she had been hit by a ball while playing kick-ball - nobody knew then that the ball had caused her brain to bleed.  She did not improve and collapsed a few days later.    She was taken to the hospital and died a short time later.


No comments:

Post a Comment